Saturday, October 20, 2012

Stuck

My faithful readers,

I am stuck. I'm in a bit of an existential funk as it is, but one thing I could always fall back on, no matter how hard things got, was that I could still sit down, watch a movie, jot down some notes and then crank out a review. Now even that feels like a chore. It took me a full four days to sit down and write my review for Seven Psychopaths, which I loved, because I get angry with myself for falling back on the handful of adjectives and phrases that I use to praise virtually every movie that I love. I found myself deleting entire sentences because I couldn't come up with a new way to say what I wanted to say.

I could chalk it up to writer's block, or maybe just a lack of enthusiasm for writing in general, but I don't think that's the issue. Here's the issue. I'm not well. Mentally or physically. I know that I need to do something about my physical well-being, and I have for a long time. I'm just too lazy to even get started at this point. Even going to the gym for 30 minutes a day was too much for me, so I haven't gone in a while. My mental well-being is also in a state of flux due to my current anti-depressant not being as effective as my last. I need new meds, which I should be able to just go and get, but my lack of insurance coverage has left me just taking my old meds in hope that things just don't deteriorate.

Why am I getting so personal on a movie blog that's supposed to be fun and enlightening about film criticism? I don't know, I guess I'm just trying to let you know why I can't write as well as I used to. I have a back log of some 20+ reviews that I've started and haven't finished, everything from The Dark Knight Rises to Easy Rider. I just stopped writing them because I felt like I had no interesting angle from which to approach them. It's sad that the abominable reviews for Alex Cross have made me interested in seeing it, just to see if I can write some hyperbolically bad review in an attempt to get my groove back. Who knows if that'll work though.

I guess what I want, more than anything, is for those of you who read my blog with any regularity to just throw me some suggestions. If you're a writer, how did you get unblocked? If you're just an average schmo, what movies do you want me to review? I need help, and I certainly haven't been able to find any within myself.

On a side note, my oldest daughter Clementine and I have been watching the entire series of The Simpsons in order over the past few months. We just started Season 9 this morning, and it's been one of the best things I've ever done with my child (as weird as that sounds). It's been a great experience, and I would highly recommend it for anyone with a child over the age of 6.

Okay, any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated and let's break out of this funk together!

~Elitist Movie Snob

No comments:

Post a Comment