Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year and some news for January

Big thanks to everyone that's been reading and commenting, either here or on facebook. So here's what I'm thinking... this coming month, I'm going to have a theme. Since I've done a ten best list every year since 1995, I'm going to be looking at movies from my best of list that I haven't watched in a while. For example, I picked Cradle Will Rock as the #2 movie of 1999, but I can't even remember the last time I watched it. All of this will lead up to long form reviews of my ten best on the last ten days of January, so I'll post my review for my #10 choice on the 22nd, all the way through my #1 on the 31st. I'll leave some wiggle room in case I see a film in the theater that won't make my list, but I want to review. So here are some of the films I'll be reviewing this month in case you want to see them before I post my reviews:


Cradle Will Rock 1999 dir. Tim Robbins
The Constant Gardener 2005 dir. Fernando Meirelles
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story 2007 dir. Jake Kasdan
Mysterious Skin 2005 dir. Gregg Araki
Bad Education 2004 dir. Pedro Almodovar
The Fountain 2006 dir. Darren Aronofsky
X2: X-Men United 2003 dir. Bryan Singer
Road to Perdition 2002 dir. Sam Mendes
Billy Elliot 2000 dir. Stephen Daldry
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World 2010 dir. Edgar Wright
Avatar 2009 dir. James Cameron
L.A. Confidential 1997 dir. Curtis Hanson
Fargo 1996 dir. Joel Coen
United 93 2006 dir. Paul Greengrass
Frost/Nixon 2008 dir. Ron Howard
Amelie 2001 dir. Jean-Pierre Jeunet

That's a few, I'll come up with more between now and then. I'll also end my embargo on directors in February. In case anyone hadn't noticed, I'd been avoiding reviewing more than one film by any given director. I'll put a stop to that soon as it's been killing me. It was an exercise to stretch myself, but it's been a bit stifling.
I'm open to any other suggestions anyone may have. One last favor, I would ask you to share this with friends who aren't reading it, or people you know who I may not know, that would find this interesting. I'd like to open up readership a bit, so any help my devoted readers can give would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone, and happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment